Monday, April 25, 2011

100 Word Challenge: Bathed


Join us at this week's 100 Word Challenge prompt: BATHED


Cat in the Window

Our cat sat in the living room window, as he did every early morning, squinting at the pink sunrise. As the blackbirds scolded, he chattered back with a bizarre bird call he had taught himself. He pressed his forehead against the screen, closed his eyes, and dreamed of the hunt. Eventually he bathed unconcerned--first his face, then his paws--as a mother bird frantically, furiously darted toward the screen. 

I left our cat there for my computer and freelance writer workday. That evening, as always, he bathed--ears, tail--and listened with one ear as I worried out loud.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I think my cat would have torn a whole in the screen. LOL. Thanks for stopping in & reading mine:-)

VV said...

Oh, the dear cat. They are such delightful company.

Tara R. said...

Our cats make that odd chirping noise too when watching birds.

Teresa Kander said...

Sounds like my cat as well!

barbara said...

good imagery. Not a cat person (gasp!) but I have watched their antics with glee.

Carrie said...

Something I can relate to. I used to watch our cat perch on the back of the couch and watch the birds flutter about in our backyard. She'd also make a weird 'chirp' occasionally.

Simply Wren said...

Isn't that just like a cat? Very nice.

Ms. Maggie said...

I love watching the cat watch birds like that. Mine is so funny "barking" at the birds. Nice job!